The thought of having all your data in the cloud still may be a scary thought for some small business owners. As technology is advancing, so too is the security in having our data stored online. Xero have the trust of hundreds and thousands of businesses worldwide and appreciate your data is important, so they’ve spent good money to ensure your security. In fact, their system is probably far more secure than your home or small office internet access. Xero encrypts all data that goes between you and Xero, using industry-standard TLS (Transport Layer Security) protecting your personal and financial data.
THE CRITICAL FIRST STEPS
Engage a professional to speak with before jumping into the cloud; you should consider the following and have all the answers before setting up your new accounting software program:
- Is it best to transfer your history into your new software program or should you start off with a brand new file? The positive of ‘starting fresh’ is that it’s a clean setup and no time or effort is needed to transfer your old data. However, you lose the advantage of looking up old information within your current data file. If you’re thinking of leaving the old data where it is, find out how long this information will be available for you to access and if there is a cost involved. Depending on which program you are switching from, you may have ready access at no charge indefinitely.
- Engaging the right person to talk to about Xero is very important. How much experience have they had using Xero? Are they Xero Certified? You want the right person guiding you. Are they Registered BAS Agents who can give you advice and training on tax coding, as well as Xero guidance?
- Ensure that you have the Xero file set up correctly from the beginning. Think of your bookkeeping like building a home. If the foundations are weak or worse, unstable, then you’re building work on weak foundations. If your file is not set up correctly, your data will not be correct going forward. There are many important aspects behind the scenes which should be setup correctly, starting with linking your accounts, going through to default tax codes and of course incorporating payroll, debtors and creditors. This leads back to ensure you have someone experienced to set you up right to start with.
- Add-ons – with over thousands of add-ons that connect to Xero, it can be a little overwhelming and confusing, you need to ensure that you choose the right fit for your business/industry that saves you time and money. Don’t rush this step, but instead ensure you have chosen the right option. Many add-ons which link to Xero will give you a 14 or 30 day free trial.
- Organise training for you and your staff to ensure consistency and preciseness. I know many businesses are on a budget, however, it’s far better (and more cost efficient) to do something right the first time, rather than fixing up a heap of errors later, or worse, your accountant having to fix up a whole year of mess when they see your Xero file. Invest in your business and purchase some training which in the long term will actually save you money as you and your team are doing things right from day one and not wasting time floundering through.
Xero has some amazing time-saving features. By using Xero you can save bookkeeping time on data entry by using automatic bank feeds, setting up rules for all your direct debits, and much more. Being in the cloud also allows you to access your Xero file anywhere and anytime – meaning you can even invoice onsite, on the job and as soon as work is finished. Wouldn’t it be great to get paid as soon as the job is done … rather than waiting weeks (or longer) to get your hard earned income into the bank?
Working with Xero is a very exciting move that Blitzin Books has made. We love helping small businesses move into the cloud and watching them grow. If you are thinking about the move to Xero and would like a professional Certified Consultant (with more than 15 years experience and Registered and Licensed BAS Agents) to help you – give us a call on 07 49551864. We have somewhat become “the face of Xero of late” which has been an honour – check out our story on how we have raised our profits and saved precious time in using Xero below by clicking on the following link: https://www.xero.com/au/cloudjumpers/putting-it-all-into-practice/
If you’d like to know more about Xero’s security – check out this link also: https://www.xero.com/au/about/security/